CareAlert Products Inc. understands that privacy is important to you. CareAlert Products is also required to comply with the requirements of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (Ontario).
Please refer to the following privacy information:
Read the Privacy Collection Statement for specific information about why we may be collecting Personal Information from you and how we will be using it and disclosing it. This will provide you with the information you may need prior to providing us with your Personal Information. Back to Top
This policy has been drafted having regard to CareAlert Products' obligations under the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (Ontario).
- CareAlert Products will only collect Personal Information where the information is necessary for CareAlert Products to perform one or more of its functions or activities. In this context, "collect" means gather, acquire or obtain by any means, information in circumstances where the individual is identifiable or identified.
- CareAlert Products collects Personal Information primarily to supply customers with the products and services ordered from it. CareAlert Products also collects and uses Personal Information for secondary purposes including:
- billing and account management
- business planning and product development; and
- to provide individuals with information, as well as the products and services of CareAlert Products.
- CareAlert Products will not collect Sensitive Information from individuals except with consent and only where it is necessary for CareAlert Products to collect such information for an activity or function.
- CareAlert Products will not collect Personal Information secretly or in an underhanded way.
- CareAlert Products will obtain an individual's consent for Use of non-sensitive Personal Information for Secondary Purposes at the time of collection, unless the Use is a related Secondary Purpose which would be within the relevant individual's Reasonable Expectations.
- CareAlert Products Uses Personal Information primarily for the purposes listed in 1.2 above.
- If CareAlert Products relies on the Direct Marketing exception to Direct Market to individuals it will ensure that:
- the individual is clearly notified of their right to Opt Out from further Direct Marketing;
- there is only one Use of the information before the Opt Out right is given and this Use applies across all CareAlert Products;
- the individual is given an Opt Out in all further instances of Direct Marketing if they have not previously chosen to Opt Out; and
- if the individual Opts Out of all Direct Marketing the Opt Out will be respected by CareAlert Products and all its Related Bodies Corporate.
- CareAlert Products will not use Sensitive Information for Direct Marketing.
- CareAlert Products may use Personal Information to avoid an imminent threat to a person's life or to public safety. It may also use Personal Information for reasons related to law enforcement or internal investigations into unlawful activities.
- CareAlert Products will not use Personal Information without taking reasonable steps to ensure that the information is accurate, complete and up to date.
- CareAlert Products may Disclose Personal Information if consent has been obtained from the individual.
- CareAlert Products may Disclose Personal Information to unrelated third parties to enable outsourcing of functions (such as billing, customer relations management and order fulfillment), where that is Disclosure or Use for a related Secondary Purpose and has been notified to individuals or where such Disclosure is within the individual's Reasonable Expectations.
- CareAlert Products will take reasonable steps to ensure that its contracts with third parties include requirements for third parties to comply with the Use and Disclosure requirements of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (Ontario).
- CareAlert Products may Disclose Personal Information to law enforcement agencies, government agencies, courts or external advisers where permitted or required by law.
- CareAlert Products may Disclose Personal Information to avoid an imminent threat to a person's life or to public safety.
- If a Disclosure is not for a Primary Purpose; is not for a related Secondary Purpose; or upfront consent has not been obtained, CareAlert Products will not Disclose Personal Information otherwise than in accordance with the exceptions set out at 3.1 to 3.6 above.
- CareAlert Products does not sell or share its customer lists on a commercial basis with third parties but if it did, it would only do so if we had the appropriate consent of the individual involved. If the consent provided is conditional, CareAlert Products will take steps to ensure (by contract) that the use of its customer list by third parties does not exceed the scope of the consent.
4. INFORMATION QUALITY
- CareAlert Products will review, on a regular and ongoing basis, its collection and storage practices to ascertain how improvements to accuracy can be achieved.
- CareAlert Products will take steps to destroy or de-identify Personal Information after as short a time as possible and after a maximum of seven years from the date of the last customer interaction, unless the law requires otherwise.
5. INFORMATION SECURITY
- CareAlert Products requires employees and contractors to perform their duties in a manner that is consistent with CareAlert Products' legal responsibilities in relation to privacy.
- CareAlert Products will take all reasonable steps to ensure that paper and electronic records containing Personal Information are stored in facilities that are only accessible by people within CareAlert Products who have a genuine "need to know" as well as "right to know".
- CareAlert Products will review, on a regular and ongoing basis, its information security practices to ascertain how ongoing responsibilities can be achieved and maintained.
6. ACCESS AND CORRECTION
- CareAlert Products will allow its records containing Personal Information to be accessed by the individual concerned in accordance with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (Ontario).
- CareAlert Products will correct its records containing Personal Information as soon as practically possible, at the request of the individual concerned in accordance with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (Ontario).
- Individuals wishing to lodge a request to access and/or correct their Personal Information should do so by contacting CareAlert Products Customer Service, as per the details on the website.
- CareAlert Products can charge a fee for processing an access request but will generally not do so unless the request is complex or is resource intensive.
- CareAlert Products Customer Service representatives will be the first point of contact for inquiries about privacy issues. Individuals wishing to make an inquiry or complaint regarding privacy, should do so by contacting CareAlert Products Customer Service, as per the details on the CareAlert Products website.
8. ANONYMOUS TRANSACTIONS
- CareAlert Products will not make it mandatory for visitors to its web sites to provide Personal Information unless such Personal Information is required to answer an inquiry or provide a service. CareAlert Products may however request visitors to provide Personal Information voluntarily to CareAlert Products (for example, as part of a competition or questionnaire).
Back to Top
Privacy Safeguard Statement
1. What Personal Information does CareAlert Products collect?
The types of personal information that CareAlert Products records will depend on your usage of our site. If you carry out a transaction online or send us an email, CareAlert Products will record information that may differ from the information CareAlert Products collects if you simply visit our site.
- Purchasing products or services: If you purchase products or services CareAlert Products requires you to provide certain details so that we can provide you with the product or service. This includes details such as your name and contact information, or in the case of businesses, information about the company, department or association making the purchase. CareAlert Products requires this information to help us process and manage your account. If you purchase a product or service CareAlert Products also requires your credit card details in order to process the purchase.
- Making other enquiries about your account: If you make an online query about your account you will be required to provide your contact details so that your inquiry can be resolved as soon as possible..
- Navigation Information: Each time you visit CareAlert Products's web site, anonymous navigation information is collected by our servers. This information includes:
- the type of browser and operating system you are using;
- the address of the referring site (ie the previous site you had visited) and the website you leave our site to visit;
- the date and time of your visit;
- your server's IP address; and
- the address of the pages you accessed.
2. What Happens with Your Personal Information?
- The personal information collected from you at this site is or may be used:
- for billing purposes;
- to maintain your account;
- to notify you about other or new services or promotions from time to time;
- to provide customer support;
- in order to provide you with the products, services or information you have requested.
- CareAlert Products may also use its customer database, including information provided by you through this web site, to distribute information about other CareAlert products and services. If at any time you no longer wish to receive email or postal communications from CareAlert Products, you can contact CareAlert Products customer service at any time and make an 'opt out' request.
- Information collected on this site may also be combined and de-identified to provide CareAlert Products with anonymous demographic and usage information. CareAlert Products can then use this aggregated information to develop new and/or more appropriate services and products to offer to customers.
- In addition, anonymous navigation information may be used for statistical analysis of the site, for marketing purposes and to tailor the content of the site to the needs of CareAlert Products customers. Statistical information is not disclosed in connection with your personal information.
3. Will personal information be given to anyone else?
- Personal information collected at this site will only be disclosed to third parties in accordance with this Privacy Statement and with the terms and conditions of any relevant service.
- Information collected at this site may be disclosed to third parties where functions are being outsourced. CareAlert Products may also disclose personal information to law enforcement agencies, government agencies, courts or external advisors where required by law.
5. Are personal account details safe when being transmitted?
- CareAlert Products strives to protect your personal information during its transmission. Customer account information provided through this site is held in a secure server environment behind CareAlert Products firewalls.
- CareAlert Products' secure server software (SSL) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including your name and address, so that it cannot be read as the information travels over the Internet. However, while CareAlert Products maintains high standards in protecting your security, no transmission over the Internet or storage of information on servers connected to the Internet can be guaranteed to be absolutely secure.
6. Are personal account details stored safely?
- CareAlert Products takes reasonable steps to ensure the security of personal information held by it from such risks as loss or unauthorised access, destruction, use, modification or disclosure of data. CareAlert Products only permits your details to be accessed by authorised personnel.
Back to Top
Privacy Collection Statement
For what purpose does CareAlert Products require your Personal Information?
CareAlert Products collects and uses Personal Information about you to supply you with the products and services you order from it and its related companies. CareAlert Products also collects and uses Personal Information for related purposes such as:
- billing and account management;
- business planning and product development; and
- to provide you with information about the products and services of CareAlert Products.
How CareAlert Products may use your Personal Information?
CareAlert Products may disclose Personal Information about you (for the purposes set out in clause 1) to:
- any of the CareAlert Products related companies;
- CareAlert Products' agents, dealers, contractors and franchisees;
- CareAlert Products' suppliers who need access to the Personal Information to enable CareAlert Products to supply you with the products and services you have ordered.
When and how can you opt out?
If you wish only to receive communications that are account-related or legally required, you may request not to receive other communications (ie you may "opt out"). If you wish to make a request to opt-out, you can do so at any time by letting CareAlert Products know of your request. If you provide CareAlert Products with an opt-out request, CareAlert Products will activate your request as soon as reasonably possible after receiving it. CareAlert Products will not charge you for processing a request to opt-out.
Your right to access your records
You may request access to Personal Information CareAlert Products holds about you, and CareAlert Products will grant you access unless it is required or permitted to refuse such a request. You may also request that information about you be corrected if you think that it is not accurate. You should contact us if you require more information.
Back to Top